Skip to content

FAQ: Benefits / Getting Started

No. VA will only pay the amount of in-state tuition and fees based on your post 9/11 entitlement. Out of state tuition must be covered by out of pocket or by external funds. However, you may be eligible for an out of state tuition waiver if you are using VA benefits and living in the state of TN. For undergraduate residency please contact Anne Smethers at 865-974-1189. For graduate residency please contact Carla Poore at 865-974-3251

For assistance with Veteran Student Services please go to the Veterans Resource Center G020 Hodges Library (ground floor) 1015 Volunteer Blvd. Walk-ins are welcome from 0800-1700. No appointment is necessary.

Yes we do. VOLFighters (VOLF) is an official national chapter of SVA (Student Veterans of America). Please contact Jayetta Rogers, the group advisor for more information at UTK also has a national honor society for veterans called SALUTE. For more information regarding SALUTE and membership criteria please contact Ingrid Ruffin at

Eligibility is determined solely by the VA. Visit the GI Bill website ( or call the VA Education Hotline/Call Center at 1.888.442.4551 to inquire about benefits.

Apply for veterans education benefits directly online with the VA using their VONAPP application ( If you are approved for the GI Bill, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) award letter.

Submit a copy of the COE letter and DD-214 to the school certifying official (SCO). All veteran students or their dependents will also be asked to fill out an enrollment certification form. Click here.

If you are a transfer student and have used your chapter 35 GI Bill benefits at another institution and wish to transfer them to UT, submit a VA Form 22-5495 online. All other chapters use form 22-1995 and submit online. Bring a printed copy (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) with the COE to the SCO.

We have 2 SCO’s, Jayetta Rogers and Vickie Clark. They are located in the Veterans Resource Center on the ground floor of Hodges Library (G020)

Chapter 33 POST 9/11 and Chapter 35. To transfer your post 9/11 benefits to your children or spouse please see the TEB checklist for step by step instructions. For chapter 35 benefits the student will need to complete form 22-5490 (application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance), located at For more information regarding the criteria for chapter 35 assistance call 1.888.442.4551 or please visit

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( should be completed as soon as possible the previous academic year to determine your eligibility for financial aid. FAFSA results are communicated directly to the school and you should be notified of award packages through your UTK email. You have the ability to accept all or part of the financial aid package.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you are filling out the FAFSA at the address and not the .com address. These are not the same thing.

The Helping Heroes Grant is also available to veteran students who meet certain criteria. This award is a grant (you do not pay it back) in the amount of $1,000 for each semester in which 12 credit hours were passed. You are only required to apply once per academic year and the award is on a first come-first served basis.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.

Report an accessibility barrier